How did you spend your last day of paid time off? DMV? Doctor’s appointment? Hardware store?
According to a study by Ocean City, Maryland, 70 percent of Americans spend their vacation days away from relaxation. That number is much higher than it should be.
The study shows that Paid Time Off (PTO) is used more for errands, not islands:
- 38 percent of people surveyed use PTO for everyday errands.
- 45 percent go to doctor’s appointments.
- 34 percent work on home repairs.
- 44 percent always use their vacation days.
- 16 percent have let their vacation days expire.
We’re filling the valuable spaces in our schedule with more work. So when are you taking that trip to Europe you’ve always planned? When will you finally show the kids the magic of Disney World? When are you going to escape, explore and discover the world?
Americans work harder and more often than Europeans, but we’re not even taking advantage of the time off we do get. Hopefully, as a Global Discovery Vacations member, you are able to use your vacation days as it was intended.
But if you need some convincing, consider these findings by the U.S. Travel Association:
- Aside from feeling overall healthier, travelers sleep longer and deeper after a vacation.
- Travelers aged 45 or over show a 50 percent increase on tests that measure reactions to visual a stimulus after returning from vacation.
- Nearly two thirds of executives find improved creativity. Seventy-five percent of them see an increase in job performance.
- Taking a vacation every year can reduce the risk of heart attack by 50 percent.
Do yourself a favor – do your boss or company a favor – see how many vacation days you’ve earned and take them! Need help finding a vacation? Book a vacation with Global Discovery Vacations today!
How well do your vacations improve your work life? Let us know in the comments below.