As 2016 comes to a close, we wanted to take some time to acknowledge the moments that helped define this year in travel and the Global Discovery Vacations membership. From new resorts to fun contests and tragic natural disasters, we have a lot to reflect on this past year.
New Membership Features
We’re always looking at ways to add new features to the membership, and we had three significant additions this year:
- Our new Cruise Search gives you access to thousands of cruises from all of your favorite cruise lines.
- If you want get rewarded by telling your friends and family about Global Discovery Vacations, Share the Fun with our new referral program.
- We launched our new bookmarking app, so your travel information, booking options and membership guide are just a couple taps away.
- Wisconsin’s Wild Eagle Lodge earned all sorts of well-deserved awards from the likes of TripAdvisor and WeddingWire.
- We introduced this stunning South Padre, Texas, resort, and there are many Vacation Weeks available for 2017.
- Add Holiday Inn Club Vacations Scottsdale Resort to our list of stylish Arizona resorts.
Member Mondays galore! From the Bahamas to Georgia to Italy to Michigan, our members went all over the globe and told us about their travels.
Contests and Polls
- In the spirit of March Madness, we did our own tournament for Global Discovery Vacations destinations. Do you remember the winner?
- Members shared their favorite travel tunes for some headphones!
- We gave a motorized cooler to our coolest customer!
- Our biggest Shoot for the Stars contest yet! Check out the winners and their stories.
- We hope more people used their vacation days in 2016 than in 2015!
- We’re in an age where ride-sharing apps are changing the transportation game.
- Hurricane Matthew devastated the East Coast earlier this year, which provided a reminder of what to do when emergencies such as this arise.
- Likewise, we’re still praying for a quick recovery to the people of Gatlinburg after fires ravaged the town.
- Get used to low-fare options becoming more prevalent for airlines.
There’s always something new to learn.
- The ultimate freedom is getting over your fear of leaving home and seeing the world.
- We saw too many stories this year about a nature walk gone wrong. Stay safe out there.
- Keep an eye on that passport expiration date. I can be a real headache if you forget to update it.
- What ingredients should you always have on hand in a condo?
- No surprise here: Clearwater was voted the best beach in America.
- Our own European gave us a new perspective on travel. Abroad Perspective, that is.
- Are you Team Beach or Team Mountain?
- The National Park Service turned 100 this year, giving us 16 free-admission days. How did you celebrate?
With New Year’s on the horizon, we’re thinking about all the new possibilities to come. Here’s to more adventures in 2017!
What was the highlight of your 2016? Let us know in the comments below!