Notable Cities in Florida Northwest: Tampa, St. Petersburg, Dunedin, Ruskin, Clearwater
This region of Florida is one of the most easygoing and culturally diverse parts of the state, with beaches, a rich art district and amusement parks to boot. If you enjoy a mixed bag of activities for your vacation, Florida Northwest can provide you entirely new experiences with every journey.
Busch Gardens Tampa
Consistently one of the top amusement parks in the country, Busch Gardens Tampa contains almost 300 acres of unfiltered fun and entertainment. Their vast roller coaster and ride collection covers every level of thrill and you can even watch one of their many stage shows. Oh, and the park is also home to one of the biggest zoos in the country, housing more than 12,000 animals.
Lowry Park Zoo
Speaking of zoos, this is one of Tampa’s main attraction, especially if you have kids. Lions, monkeys, koalas, elephants, parrots and more make up the zoo’s diverse population. Even better, you can find hands-on exhibits where you can interact with the animals. When it comes to having an educational and immersive zoo experience, you won’t find much better than Lowry Park Zoo.
Tampa Bay History Center
We’ve never heard of anyone wanting to go to Tampa for the history, but this history center could have that effect on you. The building sits on a peaceful waterfront location and once you’re inside, you’re met with vibrant exhibits that covering thousands of years of Tampa history. You’ll find information from Tampa’s first ever inhabitants, their cigar industry in a classic cigar store setting and cattle ranching. It’s immersive, entertaining and you’ll learn something!
Named among the top beach destinations by Trip Advisor for 2014, Caladesi Island is just a 20 minute ferry ride from Honeymoon Island (which you should also check out), 20 minutes west of Dunedin. Take a walk on the three-mile nature trail or the adventurous three-mile kayaking trail surrounded by mangrove trees. You’ll find an abundance of wildlife and an active ecosystem, making this one of the only entirely natural islands you’ll find along the Florida Gulf Coast.
- Tampa Theatre (Tampa)
- Bok Tower Gardens (Tampa)
- Florida Aquarium (Tampa)
- Ybor City (Tampa)
- Pinellas Trail (Dunedin)
- Clearwater Marine Aquarium (Clearwater)
- Dali Museum (St. Petersburg)
- Chihuly Collection (St. Petersburg)
- (Also see: 8 Relaxing Attractions in Tampa Bay, Florida)
Festivals and Events
- The Outback Bowl (St. Petersburg, New Year’s Day)
- Gasparilla Invasion (Tampa, January)
- MLB Spring Training (Tampa, Dunedin, Clearwater)
- Orange Festival (Dunedin, July)
- It can get hot in Tampa, but it has never hit 100 degrees.
- Babe Ruth hit the longest homerun of his career at Plant Field in Tampa. It rocketed 587 feet out of the stadium in a preseason game.
- Florida’s first industrial district came about from a cigar manufacturer in Ybor City.
- Beso Del Sol Resort
- Madeira Bay Resort
- The Palms Resort
- Barefoot Beach Resort
- Bernie and Ginny C. called the Resort Club at Little Harbor, Florida, a little gem.